Board Magazines

October 12th, 2007 · 7 Comments

Board Mags

Ed has a very timely post about collecting magazines and the problem of them hanging around month after month.

I have collected magazines to some degree or another since I was in grade 7. Recently Linda asked me to ditch some of my current collection as we have no good place to store them. It’s tough; I have it somewhere in the back of my mind that I can’t part with them; For no real good reason. I rarely go back and read old ones.

I have in the past collected Thrasher, Transworld Skateboarding, Big Brother, Concrete Powder, The Skateboard mag, The Snowboard Mag Transworld Snowboarding, Snowboarder, Frequency – The Snowboarders Journal, Snowboard Canada, Transworld Surf, Surfer, Surfing, NESurf, SBC Surf, Surfer’s Journal, Expose … I fact I know I’m forgetting a bunch.

What can I do? ‘Scrap-book’ them as Ed suggests? Too much work. I would love to have them all as searchable PDF’s. That would be ideal. Hmm.. business idea ?!

Tags: design + art + typography · surf + skate + snow · tech + the internet

• 1 Ed Fladung // Oct 12, 2007 at 11:00 pm

dude. there has to be a service, probably in bangelore, that handles this. one year, maybe two tops and there’ll be a service like this, i’m sure.

• 2 Ed Fladung // Oct 12, 2007 at 11:04 pm

btw – i just cut up that issue of Surfer, at the bottom of the pic. great article on Bali. that’s the article i’m referring to in my post (one that i had probably read, but never remembered reading). good stuff.

• 3 Johan // Oct 13, 2007 at 10:49 am

Hmmmm…business idea eh? My old boss has a machine that is made for scanning books….a little scanning, OCRing and PDF files on a website?

The question of course, concerns the copywrong – rights.

:-)

• 4 Steve // Oct 14, 2007 at 12:57 pm

Yea . I can’t imagine the stoke of a business if you tried to resell – but for personal use .. that’s different. I just want to shift the medium they are on. :)

There is definite potential business in becoming a “shifter”.

• 5 Linda // Oct 18, 2007 at 6:05 pm

Lies.

I prefer not to squabble in public, but I cannot have my name dragged through the mud.

There was never a point when I asked you to chuck the mags. Your own guilty conscience suggested it once you saw the incredible volume of high gloss dead trees taking over the apt.

I am not the enemy here. I rest my case and it is up to the jury now.

• 6 Steph // Nov 6, 2007 at 5:38 pm

donate them

• 7 Skateboarding Magazines from 1989-1991 → Stevey.com // Apr 27, 2008 at 12:56 pm

[…] bought a lot of skateboard magazines over the years. As I’ve mentioned before; these magazines provided an escape from the rural area that I started skating in — they […]