‘Where the Wild Things Are’ becomes a movie

October 18th, 2007 · 6 Comments

Where the Wild Things Are

I, along with many other kids, dreamt of having the forest as my wallpaper in my room. What I didn’t fully realize at the time was that my window of my bedroom opened onto a real life version of this; Our 100 acres of dark forest right behind the house that creaked, howled, hooted, and crackled every night.

“We’ve Got Dave Eggers’s and Spike Jonze’s Script for ‘Where the Wild Things Are’ …and it is really, really good.

In transforming the 338-word story of Where the Wild Things Are into a 111-page screenplay, Eggers and Jonze have fleshed out the story not, unexpectedly, with wild plot developments, and not, thankfully, with densely packed pop-fiction references. Instead Where the Wild Things Are is filled with richly imagined psychological detail, and the screenplay for this live-action film simply becomes a longer and more moving version of what Maurice Sendak’s book has always been at heart: a book about a lonely boy leaving the emotional terrain of boyhood behind.”

Read the full article here

Tags: links + bookmarks · tivo + movies + music

• 1 Anile // Oct 18, 2007 at 4:52 pm

OOOOHHHHH I heard about this, what a dream mix of talents :) Genius book + genius director = I better lower my expectations fast so that I can be happily surprised and not totally devastated ;). Oh please don’t make it bad. Can’t wait!!!

• 2 My Ghillie » ‘Where the Wild Things Are’ becomes a movie // Oct 18, 2007 at 4:56 pm

[…] Check it out! While looking through the blogosphere we stumbled on an interesting post today.Here’s a quick excerpt [ Where the Wild Things Are] I can’t tell you how happy this makes me. One of my favourite books of all time and one of my favourite directors (Spike). I, along with many other kids, dreamt of having the forest as my wallpaper in my room. What I didn’t fully realize at the time was that my window of my bedroom opened onto a real life version […]

• 3 Johan // Oct 18, 2007 at 11:45 pm

Awesome!!

• 4 Dan B // Oct 19, 2007 at 11:11 am

I’m staying up at the cottage on the farm right now!! I’ll tell you exactly where the wild things are!! Forgot what its like to sleep alone in the woods! The wolves are back also, hoping to get a pic, or atleast home alive to tell the tale!! Catch up with ya soon!

• 5 Steve // Oct 19, 2007 at 11:29 am

Awesome Dan ! Say hi to everyone for me. Fight those wolves.

• 6 Stevey.com → ‘Where the Wild Things’ clip // Feb 21, 2008 at 6:15 pm

[…] See my original post about the book becoming a movie. […]