Waves on Lake Ontario Today

January 31st, 2008 · 8 Comments

Every time you hear stories about guys surfing the Great Lakes, remember the photo above.

It was taken today somewhere very close to Toronto on Lake Ontario. I keep looking and thinking it’s some elaborate trick.

Thing is it must have been -15°C and windy in T.O. today and that’s fresh water. Almost can’t believe there’s not ice floating in those shots ?!

Check out R. Kemppainen’s whole photo set here

Tags: strangeness + randomness · surf + skate + snow

• 1 johan // Jan 31, 2008 at 1:58 am

Shit!

That’s a nice sized wave.

There must have been ice somewhere outside the frame of the photo.

• 2 Ray // Feb 1, 2008 at 12:11 am

Nah, there wasn’t any ice forming where these guys were. Other areas had a tiny bit of ice, but it was pushed up on shore because of the waves.

Thanks for linking to my photos!

• 3 Steve // Feb 1, 2008 at 12:37 am

Ray – that’s truly amazing. 2Q’s — Did you get out also – and – What’s the water temp like ?

Hope it’s okay that I’ve linked to one of your shots/photoset.

Keep up the stoke.

• 4 Ryan // Feb 1, 2008 at 10:53 pm

No way!!!!

• 5 Steve // Feb 1, 2008 at 11:38 pm

Ray – http://www.70percent.org/blog/lake-ontario-surfing/ so you know where the increase in traffic is coming from!

• 6 Ray // Feb 2, 2008 at 12:18 pm

Steve – I don’t surf (yet) My buddies do, so, if I get a chance, I come out to take pics. This was the best day that I’ve managed to capture yet. I was just as stoked as they were!
    That increase in traffic gave my Flickr the biggest jump it’s ever seen!
    I think that the water temp is just above freezing.

• 7 marco // Nov 15, 2011 at 10:17 pm

i live in ottawa. somebody can tell me how can i get to lake ontario for surfing, there is any place can i stay….and what is the best time to go. i love this sport. thank you.

• 8 Steve // Nov 16, 2011 at 9:28 am

Hi marco — i’ve never gone myself but I do know that you want to wait for very windy days.

if you search around the net you find a bunch of great lakes surf talk — maybe something like http://www.surfontario.ca/contact.htm ?

good luck !!