Canon releases water/snowproof cam

February 18th, 2009 · 8 Comments

canon_ps_d10

Wow — I’ve been waiting for Canon to make this for 8 years now. Waterproof and shoots 720p video. I want to see this in person: it might be a bit bulky, I want to see the USB/Battery closures/how they work, what the settings are for Manual vs. Auto photos, etc.

“Besides being shock, water (up to 33 feet) and freeze-proof (down to 14 degrees F), it’s got a 12 megapixel sensor (like most of Canon’s new line) and will shoot VGA video (unlike the most of the line, which shoots 720p video). Despite being tough, it actually feels pretty nice in your hand, though it won’t fit in your pocket (unless you’ve got old school JNCOs). If you’re not a fan of the blue, it’ll have other plates, like orange and camo. I want to love it, so I hope it shoots nice pictures. It’ll be $330 when it comes out in May.”

This might have usurped my desire for a Flip Mino HD camera. And.. it looks like the original iMac !!

Tags: surf + skate + snow · tech + the internet

• 1 Kathryn // Feb 18, 2009 at 4:09 pm

Wow – that’s really cool. No more having to buy cheap disposable underwater cameras!

• 2 Steve // Feb 18, 2009 at 4:36 pm

I know — and supposedly this comes with a “carabiner” which you could hook securely to something. I’ve found a couple lost “disposable” cams while snowboarding over the years.

• 3 Johan // Feb 18, 2009 at 9:30 pm

Sweet.

I foresee some more water shots this season!

• 4 Q.Perps // Feb 18, 2009 at 11:44 pm

it seems like it’s a waterproof version of the G9/G10. I have the G9 with the underwater housing and to be honest, it takes so long to take photos that using it for action photos is almost impossible. way too slow. hopefully canon got their act together and made this new jammy shoot quicker. the carabiner idea sounds tight. or better yet: a head gasket and pro-level suction cup for the tail of a snow/surf board.

• 5 rob70 // Feb 20, 2009 at 8:58 pm

Be sure to buy an extended service plan with it. Saltwater will eventually find it’s way in and brick it, but the 50$ ESP will get you a brand new one.

• 6 steve // Feb 21, 2009 at 8:59 pm

I’ll check it out and report back — too bad it might not be out for the costa trip !

• 7 Rick // Feb 27, 2009 at 3:06 pm

I have the Pentax Optio underwater – it’s so much fun to shoot underwater, in the rain.
    The only thing with the Canon, my pentax, and the other 2 I’ve tested – they are good to a depth of 12feet or so – then they leak. Of course they ARE cheap! My optio does GREAT video too.

• 8 Matias // May 10, 2009 at 5:50 am

I’ve been looking for some waterproof pocket cameras and that canon seems a bit too thick and bulky. However, have you seen this new panasonic DMC-TS1, shoots hd video and is waterproof for 3m.

That my next investment :)